Bosch washing machines that have worked for several years tend to have electric motor malfunctioning. The main reason behind this faultiness is the wearing of the carbon brushes. The only solution to this is through replacement, and the machine will be up and running again.
At this stage, it is essential to prepare the washing machine for partial dismantling. Without partial dismantling, it is impossible to be 100% sure that the brushes cause the malfunction. Therefore the following are the signs to look for in dealing with such a failure:
- The drum is rotating at a slower speed than expected
- Typical noises but they are hard to determine from the sound that the brushes are faulty
- F21 error is displayed on the washer. The errors are related to the motor, from experience, it has been proved that this may be the reason for the faultiness of the brushes.
- Though it happens so rarely, it still can be determined as a cause. The motor sparks, and there is a bad smell of burning.
- You, therefore, need to pull out the motor and do the following:
- Unbolt the back cover
- Take out the drive belt from the pulleys
- Remove the wiring connector from the motor
- Unbolt the screws holding the motor
- Detach the engine if necessary and place it to the side
Replacing the brushes in the Bosch washing appliance
- First, access the motor brushes. The carbon brushes in the Bosch washing machine are found on the sides of the body. They have a wire which offers power supply and a spring that forces them out and presses to the spinning commutator parts.
- To make the change of these electric motor brushes successful, you need to pull out the old worn carbon components correctly. These are the steps to follow:
- Use a flat screwdriver or round nosed pliers and remove the supply wire by keenly hooking its terminal.
- Take the contact of the motor brush and shift it away from the wire
- Pull the connection gently upwards. The spring-loaded brush will pop up, and you can now remove it. While removing it, please remember the side to which it was connected and then replace a new electric motor in the same manner.
- Inspect the old motor brushes of the device and determine how worn they are and decide on the next step, whether to replace them.